Saturday, July 2, 2016

Unique Designs – Advanced

Entry #1
Name of submission::    Fairytale Bangle
Description of your submission::    This bangle was inspired by Arthur Rackham's fairy illustrations; I've always loved his work. It has many layers and places for fairies to hide and play, and while working on it, I imagined them sliding down the petals and swinging on the movable bits. I used some of each of the seed beads, all of the crystals and fire polished beads, the SuperDuos and some of the triangles. The triangles might be hard to find, though!





Entry #2

Name of submission::    Perseverance in Purple
Description of your submission:

This necklace was quite the project for me. I wanted to use the purple beads in my kit that were more on the blue side of the spectrum. I determined that I  wanted to make my piece to range from the palest purple to the deepest, darkest purple. This is not the easiest thing to accomplish with beads. I realized very quickly that this was going to take a great variety of beads to accomplish.Luckily, thanks to many years of bead shopping, I had a good portion of what I would need already in my possession. If there were a category for greatest number of different beads used in this contest, I think I would easily  snag that title. I think I would also win the prize for the most amount of fringe.

This piece will be memorable for me for many reasons- the anticipation of working with a mystery kit, the joy of designing a competition piece with lenient rules that allow for maximum creativity, and the fun of pulling items from my massive bead hoard to incorporate into my project. Most memorable of all, though, will be the fact that this piece was with me throughout my journey with breast cancer. From the initial “we have a concern with your mammogram”, all the way through surgery and radiation treatment, this project was with me. Even on the days that I could not bead, it was in my thoughts. I took the photos of it on my final day of radiation- so both chapters in my life had their ending on the same day. How very appropriate, and it gave me double the reasons to celebrate the day!


Having this contest to occupy my mind during a very difficult period was a very welcome distraction, and I believe greatly enhanced my coping skills. This necklace will truly be a treasure for me.
 




Entry #3



Name of submission::    Lusty Lavender Lady with ATTITUDE
Description of your submission::               Bead embroidered necklace using Ceramic cabachon face by Lila Kobe and Purple Tiffany Stone Bertrandite created by Lexx stones






Entry #4

Name of submission::    Offering
Description of your submission::               "Offering" is a self-supporting shallow bowl with a wide brim (1"x5 1/4" diameter), highlighting and inspired by the light gold bead included in the kit. It highlights the strength and sculptural capabilities of brick stitch in rich, royal colors.







Entry #5
Name of submission::    Frosted Pond
Description of your submission::               This is a bead-embroidered piece made for hanging. The raku piece (from MAKU RAKU) reminded me of a pond that is partially frozen. The frosty look of the beads given in the Winter selection used together look like Jack Frost has come along and frozen all of the summer elements around the pond with his magic frost brush. It was embroidered on cotton with thin batting. Stabilization so that it keeps its shape when hanging is provided with a layer of cardboard between the batting and the cotton on the back of the piece.
 

 










Entry #6
Name of submission: Spring Awakening. 
This is a unique design, created by myself, using a modified Hubble Stitch (Hubble Stitch learned from Melanie DeMiquel’s book). The flowers are made with circular hubble around a rivoli. The chain is constructed of a horizontal hubble stitch that alternates between 2 drop and 3 drop in order to make the curve required for the necklace. The double clasp is made up with the same rivoli components from the focal and loops created by separating the width of the chain into half. 





Entry #7


Name of submission::    Nuit en Provence
Description of your submission::               The purple hues in the summer kit reminded me of the lavender fields in Provence, which instantly gave me some ideas. Browsing my stash for a focal element or two, the pale green ceramic raku cabochons by Lisa Peters were the perfect match.
To unite the different bead shapes and colors I added pewter/ light pewter seed beads (11/0 and 15/0) as a main color. To highlight some spots I sprinkled in some teeny-tiny luminous green lochrosen as sparkling accents.
To create the pendant, I backed the cabochons with Ultrasuede and then bezeled them with RAW and Peyote stitch. I added a double St. Petersburg border to one half of each cabochon and some netting to catch and stabilize the Rizos on the other side. The borders switch sides on the two cabochons.
The necklace is stitched in tubular RAW with 11/0 and 15/0 seed beads. Near the pendant I added little lochrosen-studded ringlets and hugs 'n' kisses-style beaded beads, which are mirrored in a smaller scale at the end of the necklace and as a drop accent on the pendant.
The clasp is a double toggle stitched in 2-drop RAW and netting. The elements are completely stiff without any armature and will hold their shape even with this relatively heavy pendant. 





Entry #8


Name of submission::    Summer's Treasures Purse
Description of your submission::               Summer’s Treasure features a bead embroidered front flap on lined envelope purse hand made from upholstery fabric.  The beadwork starts with a colorful acrylic cabochon framed by multi colored swirls.  Circles of fire-polished beads with centers of bicones form flowers on each side of the cabochon.  Needlepoint shapes created with silk thread and highlighted with crystal flowers add points of interest.  The background is moss stitch with pale lavender size 15 seed beads. The edge is covered with picots of size 11 seed beads.






Entry #9


Name of submission::    Majestic Papillon
Description of your submission::               Three dimensional butterfly brooch that can be worn either on the shoulder or chest.  The butterfly measures 5X3 inches and the wings can be formed to look as if ready to take flight at any moment.





Entry #10
Name: Raiment of the Arctic Siren
Description: The colors of the winter kit made me think of icy water. I knew that I wanted to create a costume piece for this contest, so I tried to imagine a fantastical glacial creature. As I did, the concept of an icewater mermaid or "Arctic Siren" began to emerge.

Her mask and headdress are hand sculpted from several layers of tooling leather, painted in hues of frosty white, metallic silver and several shades of blue. The colors have a beautiful opalescent wash that my camera did not capture. Both pieces are embellished with (at least) one of every bead in the kit, as well as a handful of vintage glass cabochons, a large silver toned stamping, and an abundance of Swarovski, Czech and Chinese crystal beads.

Please note that the mannequin head is tilted at an odd angle, which makes the fringe look a bit wonky. It actually does hang properly when level.





Entry #11
Name: Artaigeach
Description: Necklace with fringe and fringed toggle closure, featuring lampwork focal by Bev Butler, and pearly spacers by Lisa Anderson O'Neal.



Entry #12
Name: Sweet Summer Child
Description:  Handmade mask base adorned with beaded flowers, Swarovski crystal stones and pearls, and PRAW vines and leaves.




No comments:

Post a Comment