Saturday, July 2, 2016

Unique Designs - Intermediate

Entry #1
Name of submission::    Mr. and Mrs. PeacockolishousI
Description of your submission::               I designed a box purse using denim and ultra swede lining.  It measures 8x7x2 with an over the shoulder strap.  I was inspired by clip art pictures of paisleys because of the simplicity and versatility of bead placement.  I was able to incorporate all the beads, the fewest used of one attaching the clasp.  My ruler was key in bead placement throughout the project.  The triangle beads were used to lace the nylon strap together.  Mrs, Peacockolishous was a fun pocket adornment as I had the perfect cabs…she makes everyone giggle.  the purse is laced on all sides and holds the shape very nicely.









Entry #2
Name of submission::    A Walk in a Victorian Garden
Description of your submission::               I was inspired by this kit's colors bringing immediately to mind a flower garden. As I began a freeform bracelet design in peyote stitch, a look emerged resembling a patchwork fabric in the colors of grasses and flowers. As the freeform continued, it reached a point where some  embellishment was needed to fulfill my vision of my bracelet called "A Walk in a Victorian Garden".







Entry #3 
Name of submission::    Winter Queen
Description of your submission::               I love going to our Renaissance Faire every year and have always admired the chainmaille headpieces they have there.  I decided to try my hand at making a beaded one and came up with this piece.  it connects over the head to make the circlet stay in place, and has a drop in front to draw attention to the wearer's eyes.




  Entry #4

Name of submission::    Fall Painting with Beads
Description of your submission::               A 5x7 inch wood frame is filled with bead embroidery depicting an outdoor scene of a blazing sun rising up to chase away the darkness and illuminate a field of “O” flowers and a pile of raked leaves among textured green bead grass. Turquoise fetish birds sit on the vestiges of fall. The knotted tree clings to a few turning leaves and acorns with crystals surrounding the form of a past ceramic pin. Viewed from a distance, this looks very much like a painting.
I love bead embroidery and was inspired to make something using the acorn and leaf pin that I had in my stash. I had a bag of the antiqued bronze leaves and they matched the scrapbook “FALL” letters I happen to receive from a church member’s craft stash. Since incorporating these items would take up a lot of space, I decided to go with a framed piece versus jewelry. The only beads I added other than the birds and leaves was the sky. Everything else is from the kit. 






Entry #5
Name of submission::    "Winter"
Description of your submission::               Bead embroidered collar on Utlrasuede.







Entry #6
Name of submission::    Colorado Spring
Description of your submission::               This bead embroidery piece was inspired by the great spring colors, and even though spring time in Colorado is usually quite snowy, I was inspired by my beautiful home state!  I imagined a meadow of flowers below the mountains. Like a view I see daily in Boulder. I added several rocks, among them rose quartz, a rock that can be found here in the mountains. I nestled a Laura Mears Hummingbird in my flowery meadow. 





  Entry #7


Name of submission::    Autumn's Arrival
Description of your submission::               Autumn has a special duty to perform when the first bite of cold winds caress the Earth.  With buckets of paint and brushes, she transforms the trees and the landscape with the rich warm colors that signal the beginning of Fall. 






Entry #8
Name of submission::    Enchanted Forest
Description of your submission::               Enchanted Forest is a bead embroidered necklace with a large green stone accented with a touch of red.  Underneath is another red stone with dangle fringe and leaves to bring another dimension to the flow of the elegant necklace.  Backed with brown ultra suede.



Entry #9
Name of submission::    Victorian Garden
Description of your submission::               Victorian Garden is a bead embroidered necklace which tells the story of my neighbor's flower garden.  This necklace was constructed with seed beads, crystal and pearls that swirl around to complete a cheerful flower design. Backed with hot pink ultra suede. 



Entry #10
Name of submission::    Whimdragon
Description of your submission::               Dragon necklace . Fall colors , using challenge beads for the majority of the tail and head , with a cowl using 3 challenge beads exclusively . 10 challenge beads were used with additional beads picking up the green from the challenge triangles. Bone colored beads were used for the teeth and a Swarovski  drop incorporating both crystal colors . 






 Entry #11
Name of submission::    Fairy Berries
Description of your submission::               This design idea started with dyed silkworm cacoons  that I ordered from India.  When I received the Spring kit, I immediately put the O beads on the cacoons and thought "strawberries" then added flower  stamen which would only exist in an imaginary world.  I love mixing black and white with color and added Swarovski leaves and rivolis.  I used beads from every bag given with the exception of one:  color-semi glaze rainbow lemongrass.  Thank you for viewing my Fairy Berries bracelet from my imaginary world!





 
  Entry #12
Name of submission::    Reverie
Description of your submission::               Inspired by the Art Nouveau works of Alphonse Mucha, and his piece Reverie in particular, this bold necklace is softened by the flowing lines of CRAW and Herringbone vines. 





 
Entry #13
Name of submission::    Sunset Reflections
Description of your submission::               A double spiral rope suspends an assortment of bezeled cabochons. The design was inspired by the central hand painted porcelain cabochon by Stephanie Young of Calmwater Designs. When I saw how nicely the autumn colorway of the design kit accented the cabochon, I knew that I had to enter the contest.





  Entry #14


Name of submission::    Winter Frost
Description of your submission::               The components in this piece remind me of the frost that forms on the windows on a cold winter day.




Entry #15
Name of submission::    Autumn in Michigan
Description of your submission::               This hair adornment is a beaded collage of my favorite features of a Michigan Autumn. I love the gray-blue skies with just a touch of sunshine, the reds and golds of Manistee National Forest, the dark rusty color of wet sand in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and watching the blue waters of Lake Michigan dance in the autumnal winds. The wooden oak leaf, carved by Michigander, Charles Smalligan, is a symbol of strength, perseverance and hope. As the colorful autumn fades into the white, snowy winter, the oak trees keep their leaves to remind us that spring will once again adorn the trees. As the oak endures the icy winter, so shall I. 




 
Entry #16


Name of submission::    Party in Ibiza
Description of your submission::               Bead embroidery shoes, wooden base.






Entry #17


Name of submission::    Autumn at the Great Tide Pool
Description of your submission::               "Doc was collecting marine animals in the Great Tide Pool on the tip of the Peninsula. It is a fabulous place: when the tide is in, a wave-churned basin, creamy with foam, whipped by the combers that roll in from the whistling buoy on the reef. The anemones expand like soft and brilliant flowers, inviting any tired and perplexed animal to lie for a moment in their arms... But when the tide goes out the little water world becomes quiet and lovely."
from 'Cannery Row' by John Steinbeck

Life is vibrant yet quiet under the water of the Great Tide Pool. Even at the edge of a marine sanctuary the currents are sometimes against you, yet here you can take solace between the strands of the kelp forest and bury yourself deep into the sand. The most vulnerable inhabitants may seek refuge within the sheltering rocks and caves, just inches beneath a foamy cacophony on the surface. But be patient; the tide will eventually shift and reveal its aquatic treasures with clarity once again.







Entry #18

Name of submission::    Belts, Buckles and Baubles
Description of your submission::               I selected the Autumn Palette because I wanted to challenge myself with colors I don’t normally use.  Well it was a challenge! 

At first I thought I could make autumn blooming plants growing along a country fence.  The fence was not a problem, but there is a limited number of autumn plants that would work and my skills at beading flowers is non-existent.  Then I decided to find a theme or a name before going further.  I usually bead that way:  theme first then create the design.  I started thinking of things that may be shown on a rack/fence and I thought of museum displays.
 
Have you ever gone to a fashion show or heard about one on TV that was taking place in a museum?  For instance: The Fashion of the Downtone Abby Cast, Inaugural Ball Gowns of First Ladies, Gloves and Hats and Shoes of the 18th and 19th Century.    I thought of those I have seen and not one of them addressed the fashion of belts.  I had a theme, now for a name.  I went to bed that night and when I woke the first thing that came into my mind was the name of a movie: “Bell, Book and Candle”.   Taking that as a sign, I came up with the name of “Belts, Buckles and Baubles.”

The belts on my necklace represent, beginning, from the top left, the time of the hippies with a beaded macrame belt to be worn over a light cotton dress or long shirt, to the middle string belt for wearing with hip huggers; on up the upper right where I had to add colors not included in my color palette.  But I could not forget the black leather and metal studs of the bikers and then there is the white “Saturday Night” belt which were worn with white vinyl shoes, especially when worn by David with a cranberry suit and a pink shirt. LOL

I use all of the items in my kit, even though only 2 green crystals were used (see toggle).  Some I had to order extra, or the same color in a different size. 

I had fun making this quirky necklace and I hope it gives you a laugh.






Entry #19

Name of submission::    Spring Has Sprung!
Description of your submission::               Spring has sprung is an art doll that includes the beads from the Spring selection.  Bead embroidery, craw, and Soutache are some of  the beading techniques used to create my piece.  Other techniques used are metal metal texturing, forming, riveting and wire working.





 

Entry #20


Name of submission::    Wild Winter Winds
Description of your submission::               My submission is a necklace with a removable pendant that is a beaded tile. It can be worn with or without the pendant as it is attached to the strap with lobster claws on the silver ring. The pendant is a glass tile that is surrounded using a combination of RAW, Peyote, cross stitch, and picots to surround and decorate the tile. It is made to resemble a frozen window pane in the depths of winter with the frosty ice that can be seen as you look from the front through to the back of the tile.

The strap is made from white satin rat tail and it is fully embellished to resemble my view of what the howling winter wind would look.  It is symmetrical in style. The first section is a peyote strip closed around the rat tail and stitched to the rope by end base rings. The second section is a "twirly bead" that starts our as a row of ladder, connected to the opposing end and then alternating two rows so that they cross on the ends (row 1 goes to row 2, row 2 goes to row 1, but is twisted before its connected. These sections are then stitched together to form a bead round the rope and twisted to exemplify the wild winter wind.

There is a RAW strip of sparkling Swarovski's that represent the break in the wind for a spot of warmth and sparkling sunshine.

The back section of the rope has one section of the matte white 8/0's in peyote strips on either side of a long curved peyote strip at the very back. It reminds me of a scarf that I had as a child that would keep my neck warm while the wind was blowing outside.





Entry #21


Name of submission::    Fellows Riverside Gardens Garden Party Handbag
Description of your submission::               The inspiration for my handbag is the above-mentioned garden. Its 12 acres of color is the jewel of Mill Creek Park located in Youngstown, Ohio and provides a place for quiet contemplation.

Let's take a walk through my interpretation of the garden. Because of the layering and texture on the handbag I want to point out the materials used from the kit. Starting on the path on the bottom, the flowers on the left are pink tulips (O beads at the base, rose crystals and fire polish). On the right side of the path are roses (using the 8s and 11s from the kit), azaleas (mint 8s, pink 8s with 11 picots). Further along the path are hosts, a water feature and hydrangeas (fire polish and 11s from kit).

Along the main path is the grand mall flanked by Japanese cherry trees (pink rizo beads) and rhododendrons (stacked mint 8s and pink triangles with 15s as picots). On the other side of the main pathway is a meadow of forget-me-not flowers with the green supremos as leaves.  On the left is an array of maroon impatiens with superduos as leaves.  On the left is an array of evergreens using the green crystals in addition to other crystals with O beads as the base.

A dirt path of lochrosen crystals makes a dirt path to another water feature surrounded by pink Lewisa with foxglove and delphinium.  The grass is made from the three greens in the kit plus some addition 11s.





Entry #22

Name of submission::    Harvest Goddess
Description of your submission::               I was inspired by the cabochon focal by Karen Lewis, so I stitched rust leaves around the focal to create a sunflower effect. I used a moss stitch between the petals with the triangle beads to create a textured effect. Stylized butterfly-like wings spread out from the focal, which rests on a green labradite encircled by mushroom beads. I wanted the necklace to reflect the organic theme of the pendant, so I used freeform peyote, accented with crystals, glass beads, and natural stones.





Entry #23

Name of submission::    Lavender Dreams
Description of your submission::               Bead Embroidery Pendant- The colors of the beads reminded me of fields of lavender.  The scent of the lavender has enticed the Earth Goddess/Mother Earth to fall asleep in the field. As the Sun and Moon watched over her, they too have slipped into sweet slumber.





 
Entry #24


Name of submission::    Haiku Bag
Description of your submission::               Bag (embellishment) + tassel
based on the Autumn kit received from Whimbeads

The beads of the kit I received, were my first and foremost source of inspiration: they made me think immediately of autumn leaves. Then a bronze leaf I bought years ago, came into my mind. Luckily I found it, and then a question popped up: do autumn butterflies exist? As it turned out (thank you, Google), they do!

I then tossed aside the idea of making a necklace based on autumn leaves and butterflies, and decided instead to embellish an ochreous bag I (also) bought several years ago. After making several copies of the bronze leave, in order to enlarge it sufficiently for my purpose, I filled my desk with the beads received, plus all kinds of beads, cabochons and findingsfrom my shash, that I might be able to use and I started embroidering.

Although bag and tassel are truly Unique Designs, it doesn't entirely feel like they're MY designs; it feels more like they designed themselves while I was beading happily, thanks to the beautiful colours ... my favorite ones.

I often say that for me, beading is like meditating. As my creation was progressing, I thought from time to time about choosing a title, until some French verses came into my mind. I don't think they exist elsewhere, so probably they too are in a way 'my design'. Unable to get them out of my mind again, I decided thát would be my title, albeit a bit long:

Tombent les feuilles
S'envolent les papillons
Nature vivante.

(loosely translated into English:

Autumn leaves falling
Butterflies taking off
Living 'still life'.)

When I realized these verses formed a haiku, the final title was obvious:  Haiku bag.

I like to thank both Miranda Groenendaal for the (idea of using) real butterfly wings, and my beautiful model, Anneleen de Jong.






Entry #25


Name of submission::    Mom's Laughter
Description of your submission::               A celebration of spring color, this necklace is a unique design I've been experimenting with for a few years. Combining strung beads  with kumihimo braids challenges me everytime I attempt this. I also added a clasp made from beads which I feel beeter intergrates with the piece, rather than a mass manufactured clasp.






Entry #26


Name of submission::    Desert Thunder
Description of your submission::               Bead embroidered collar, paying homage to the squash blossom design of the Navajo.
Cabs incorporated are polymer clay desertscapes by St James Studio, depicting a thunderstorm in the desert night sky, Raku  pottery by MAKU Studio, and K2 stones (azurite in granite).
All kit beads were used except white O beads and lt blue super duos.




Entry #27


Name of submission::    Lucille's Whim
Description of your submission::               A whimsical, yet elegant statement piece partially inspired by a necklace worn by Lucille Ball in an old black and white photo. This piece pops in bold pinks and greens, and incorporates some fun elements. These include superduo medallions, O bead connectors, a stunning iridescent glass focal, and a marble encased in netting. 







Entry #28
Name of submission: Transformation
Description of your submission: Purchased the purse at Goodwill, cut a new shape and started stitching. I am an avid gardener so flowers just seemed to be the perfect fit and have started collecting dragonflies in the past years.

Sketched out the basic design but my garden seemed to have a life of its own as do my outside gardens. So just kept on stitching.

The dragonfly is a removable pin.

Transformation was chosen for two reason
One - My gardens start their transformation each spring into my " heaven" on earth.
and two - from "the Dragonfly Story"
"The fact that we cannot see our family or communicate with them after their transformation, which we call death, is no proof that they cease to exist.”





Entry #29

Name of submission:  Winter Flowers
Description of your submission:  This was my first winter spent in Arizona, away from Idaho's frigid winters, so that's why I chose winter. When I received the winter kit, I envisioned looking through frosty window panes, waiting for spring to bring her flowers. As I worked on this necklace, the colors also gave strong hints of Delft china, which I dearly love, so some of the components are my interpretation of Delft design elements.




Entry #30
Name: The Horned Lord
 Bead embroidery design featuring a vintage antler button with deer design. I used crystal cupchain, Swarovski crystals and beads provided in my kit, Vintaj brass oak leaf branches, and leather for the backing. The 24" cord is hand dyed rattail braided using a kumihimo technique. The cord is finished with antique copper floral end caps and lobster clasp




Entry #31
Name of submission:  Blue  Skies
Description: Sodalite is the "healing" stone. Butterflies often symbolize rebirth. In times of troubles, I frequently sing Ella Fitzgerald's song..."Blue days...all of them gone!...Nothing but blues skies...from now on". Rebirth and healing are celebrated thru my bead embroidered ensemble entitled "Blue Skies". The teardrop shapes (behind the curved sodalite beads) are open to showcase freedom of movement of butterfly wings. These pieces feature many large sodalite cabochons, round sodalite beads, silver beads, as well as the new semi-glazed soft blue and pale sapphire matt AB seed beads, in several sizes. Blue hematite triangle beads, and cut cobalt blue seed beads add a deep richness and contrast to Blue Skies. Swarovski crystal bicones , fire-polish beads, cut glass beads, gilt lined white opal beads, and a few clear lined color seed beads all add a dash and sparkle and gliteriness! The back of "Blue skies" features sodalite beads, as well as an adjustable sterling silver chain. A vintage sterling silver ring was a wonderful find for another sodalite cab. Sterling silver lever back earrings (pierced) completer this beautiful ensemble!











No comments:

Post a Comment